Let’s see how the entire list played out.
(Records are as of Monday, before this week’s action)
(CLICK READ MORE TO CONTINUE . . .)
2. Toledo Rockets (7-2, 4-1 MAC) – UT bounced back from its upset by Ohio with a 48-17 thumping of Akron.
3. Ohio Bobcats (7-3, 5-1 MAC) – The ‘Cats thumped Buffalo, 34-10, That was Ohio’s third straight win and sixth victory in the last seven outings. Ohio often cuts it close, but it has come out on the winning end all but once in MAC play. It’s going to be hard to keep them out of the MAC title game at this stage.
4. Akron Zips (5-5, 3-3 MAC) – Okay, Toledo cruised by the Zips last week. It put UA another game behind Ohio, so the MAC East is looking kind of grim for the Zips at this point. They can still hang on to the fourth spot -- for now!
5. Miami RedHawks (4-6, 4-2) – The RedHawks have been charging up the rankings – with no small credit going to Gus Ragland. If MU can defeat Buffalo Friday, it will face Ball State at home in its finale -- with bowl eligibility on the line. Who’d have thunk it!!!
6. Northern Illinois (3-6, 3-2 MAC)
The Huskies overall record stinks! But they are doing well in conference play. We’ll see what happens against Toledo Wednesday, but NIU’s November history is sweet.
7. Central Michigan Chippewas (5-5, 2-4 MAC) – The Chips have two more shots at getting that sixth win, which would earn bowl eligibility.
8. Eastern Michigan (5-4, 2-3 MAC) – This is another team with bowl aspirations. It’s time for EMU to get things back on track after a pair of losses.
9. Ball State Cardinals (4-5, 1-4 MAC) – The Cardinals are trying to finish strong, but the schedule is tough.
10. Kent State Golden Flashes (3-6, 2-3 MAC) -- The Flashes were already walking a tight rope before the Nate Holley thing.
11. Buffalo Bulls (2-7, 1-4 MAC) – Take away the win over Akron, and the Bulls have five losses in five games. They get a hot Miami team this Saturday before going on the road -- first at No. 17/18 Western Michigan and then the finale at Bowling Green on Black Friday.
12. Bowling Green (1-8, 0-5 MAC) – The Falcons have a pair of legit chances for a win over the next two weeks. Can they pull themselves out of the basement?