at Ball State (0-0, 0-0 MAC)
2:30 p.m. -- Saturday
Scheumann Stadium Muncie, Indiana
- The Raiders return 15 starters and 59 letterwinners from a 2013 team that posted a 4-8 overall record and 3-2 mark in the Patriot League.
- Jake Melville (6-1, 195, So) is slated to start at quarterback. Demetrius Russel (6-1, 195, Jr) or John Wilkins (5-11, 240, Jr) will open at tailback. Melville played in five games with one start in 2013. He completed 17 of 44 pass attempts with three interceptions and two touchdowns.
- Ball State is the only Football Bowl Subdivision team on the Raiders schedule this year.
- BSU head coach Pete Lembo noted Colgate plays a rugged, multi-faced running game that leads the way for the offense. A simple passing game is used as a compliment. Defensively, Lembo said, the Raiders are moving to a 3-4 alignment.
- Defensive back Mike Armiento (92 tackles, 6 INTs) was an all-conference selection last year. Fullback Ed Pavalko (6-0, 245, Sr) joined Armiento on the Patriot League Preseason All-Conference team.
ABOUT BALL STATE
- Ozzie Mann, a 6-1, 213-pound junior from Hartford City, Indiana will get the call at quarterback.
- This is the first meeting between BSU and Colgate, but Lembo previously faced the Raiders 10 times, including during his time as head coach at Lehigh.
- Lembo has reminded his team that FCS opponents can be dangerous. "If you needed to mention FCS, all you've got to do is remind our guys that at one point we were behind 21-9 to Illinois State last season," Lembo said.
- BSU Injuries -- Julian Boyd, shoulder (out) . . . Ralph Smith, foot (out) . . . Carluturbantu Zaramo, knee (out). Boyd, a senior linebacker, will miss the entire season with a shoulder injury. “"Julian might have been able to play with it, but linebacker is such a physical position," Lembo said. "Just felt like that would be the best course of action."
- RB Jahwan Edwards will be a workhorse for the Cardinals this year as the departure of QB Keith Wenning puts more pressure on the running game. Edwards ranked 19th in the nation in rushing touchdowns last year. He was 39th in the country with 1,110 rushing yards and 28th in rushing average (100.9 ypg).
- WR Jordan Williams had four 100-yard receiving games in 2013. He had 161 yards in a regular season finale against Miami.
- Ben Ingle led the Cardinals in tackles 9116) last year. Brian Jones (97) and Zack Ryan (92) also approached the century mark. Jones registered four fumble recoveries, one short of the school record.
- Scott Secor made 13 straight field goals in 2013. That is the second longest streak in BSU history. The streak endd with a miss in the GoDaddy.com Bowl. Secor naked 19th in the nation with an average of 9.0 ppg.