Waldo Stadium, Kalamazoo, MI
Fresh off a road win over Northwestern, Western Michigan opens up its home slate with a visit from North Carolina Central. The Eagles look to bounce back from a rough season opener at Duke, who scored 49 first half points and cruised the rest of the way in a 49-6 triumph. It’s the first meeting between the two teams.
(CLICK READ MORE TO CONTINUE . . . )
North Carolina Central (0-1, 0-0 MEAC)
● Quarterback Malcolm Bell completed just 7 of 25 passes for 74 yards with one interception.
● The Eagles netted 38 yards on the ground. That was on 29 attempts, so they averaged 1.3 yards per rush. Dorrel McCann and Torri Cotton combined for 13 carries and 43 yards.
● LaVontis Smith and David Miller each had two receptions. They produced 41 of the team’s 74 receiving yards.
● Duke, which committed five turnovers, totaled 535 yards of offense.
● Jamauri Bogan scored on a one-yard run with 5:38 remaining in the game to move WMU ahead for good. It was one of two Bronco touchdowns on the day.
● Quarterback Zach Terrell completed 26 of 36 passes for 218 yards with one TD. That went to D’Wayne Eskridge on a 13-yard pass play during the third quarter.
● Corey Davis was the top receiver, grabbing seven aerials for 70 yards.
● Butch Hampton kicked three field goals, with a long of 47 yards.
● Asante Brown recorded 10 tackles, including two tfl. Linebacker Robert Spillane owned seven tackles and a sack.