Doyt Perry Stadium, Bowling Green, OH
American Sports Network/ESPN3
It will be the Hawks vs Falcons Saturday, with both birds anxious to rebound from Week One losses. Bowling Green got thumped by Ohio State, 77-10, while North Dakota fell at Stony Brook, 13-9.
This will be the . . .
UND, a Division I hockey powerhouse, played football in Division II from 1973 to 2008 and won the National Championship in 2001.
Here’s a look at this week’s matchup:
North Dakota Fighting Hawks (0-1, 0-0 Big Sky)
● A blocked punt return was the difference Saturday at UND fell at Stony Brook. Redshirt freshman Gavin Heslop blocked a North Dakota punt that was scooped up by Kye Morgan and returned seven yards for the game’s final score. Starting with 8:53 remaining, UND mounted a 12-play, 55-yard drive, but it was unable to convert a fourth-and-one play. Stony Brook then ran out the clock.
● Reyes recorded eight tackles, recovered two fumbles, forced a fumble, had a sack and recorded a safety. Junior Connor O’Brien led UND with 11 stops.
● The two teams combined for 25 first downs, with UND owning 12. The Hawks had 177 total yards, while Stony Brook owned 221.
● Santiago led UND rushing with 16 carries for a net 51 yards and a TD. UND finished with 121 yards rushing.
● Keaton Studsrud completed 13 of 25 passes for 114 yards. He did not throw an interception but was sacked four times.
Bowling Green Falcons (0-1, 0-0 MAC)
● The Falcons scored first against Ohio State as Brandon Harris returned an interception 63 yards for a touchdown with 12:19 remaining in the first quarter.
● Ohio State shook off the early passing miscue as quarterback J. T. Barrett went on to throw a record six TD passes (and also ran for one more). The Buckeyes passed for 417 yards and ran for another 359 for a massive 776 total yards.
● Bowling Green totaled 244 offensive yards – just 69 on the ground and 175 through the air.
● Quarterback James Knapke was 12 of 33 for 110 yards and two interceptions. James Morgan completed 9 of 10 for 65 yards and threw one pick.
● Fred Coppet rushed 12 times for 38 yards (3.2 ypc), while Josh Cleveland carried six times for 31 yards (5.2 ypc).
● Ronnie Moore (5/45) and Marquis Zimmerman (7/43) combined for 12 receptions and 88 yards.
● Joseph Davidson got a workout, punting seven times. He averaged 46.6 yards per boot, with a long of 60. Jake Suder converted a 33-yard field goal.